Outdoor Explorer Award
Note: The requirements of this badge have been modified to meet the needs of our club.
Hiking is going for a long walk outside, usually on nature trails.
1. Watch this video on hiking basics. Be prepared to make two lists below.
- What should you bring on a hike?
- What safety rules should you follow?
2. Gather together the stuff you need to go on a hike. Think about clothing, food, safety, etc. If you are missing something, write it down or draw a picture of it on a piece of paper and put it with your hiking supplies. OR Draw a supply list of ALL the things you need to go on a hike.
3. Let's do a little research on places to hike. Visit one of the websites below and choose a place that you would like to hike someday. The first website is more for beginners. The second website is for seasoned hikers.
4. Hiking is a great way to explore the great outdoors. Now that you know how to be safe, what to bring, and where you can go, it's good to do a little research on what nature items you might encounter on your hike. This will make your hike especially rewarding when you can see, hear, smell, and touch things that you recognize from a book in real life! Prepare a nature scavenger hunt list for your hike. Think about these questions.
- What kinds of things would you like to see?
- What do you think you will hear?
- What would you like to touch?
- What would you like to smell?